On February 18, 2023, at approximately 12:05 p.m., the Winnipeg Police Service was alerted to the report of a male observed with a firearm in the area of Aikins Street and Mountain Avenue.
North District Community Support Unit officers, assisted by Central and West District units and Tactical Support Team (TST) members, attended the area in a coordinated effort to locate the suspect male. Shortly thereafter, West District officers observed the male suspect matching the dispatched description walking westbound in the 400 block of Mountain Avenue and safely arrested him without incident with the assistance of TST members.
North District Community Support Unit members recovered a loaded sawed-off Kodiak WK180C semi-automatic rifle with a magazine containing .223 calibre ammunition in a residential yard within the same block of the arrest location. The rifle’s serial number had been obliterated, and the magazine had been altered to increase its capacity to hold additional rounds. The firearm, magazine, and ammunition were secured and seized as evidence.
Dorian Tyrell PACKO, 23, of Winnipeg, is charged with the following offences:
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Device
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing Serial Number has been Tampered With
- Possession of a Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order x 2
It was subsequently learned that PACKO was a parolee from the Edmonton Institution, and the Correctional Service of Canada was advised of his jeopardy. As a result, a Warrant of Apprehension and Suspension was issued, and the Winnipeg Police Service executed the warrant.
He was detained in custody.