Noise complaints

The City of Winnipeg Livability Neighbourhood By-law (Part 5 – Noise Control) provides standards for noise in Winnipeg communities. This includes acceptable volumes as well as time restrictions and exemptions. While certain activities that unnecessarily disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, health or safety of the public may be prohibited, certain other activities are only prohibited during certain times.

Generally, those noise-generating activities as outlined under section 69 are prohibited within 150 meters of a residential property before 7 a.m. and after 9 p.m. on weekdays and before 9 a.m. and after 9 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and statutory holidays.

We encourage residents to exercise a reasonable degree of tolerance and to review the By-law before calling.

Complaints to police

Noise from a loud party or people-related noise falls under the jurisdiction of the Winnipeg Police Service. These reports can only be made by calling the police non-emergency phone line at 204-986-6222.

Units may be dispatched, subject to the volume and nature of calls for service waiting for a police response. For example, units will always be sent to priority calls such as robberies, assaults and reports of domestic violence.  Response to noise complaints may be delayed.

Should you believe someone’s life is in jeopardy (sounds of a fight or conflict), convey that to the call taker so the call can be triaged accordingly.

Complaints to 3-1-1 & bylaw enforcement

Animals making unreasonably loud, unnecessary or excessive noises can be reported through the City of Winnipeg Animal Service Agency at 3-1-1.

Excessive noises related to mechanical equipment such as furnaces and air conditioners, as well as noise associated with using construction tools by a company or individual resident, can be directed to Community By-law Enforcement Services at 3-1-1.

Exemptions & permits

Limited exemptions are identified in the by-law under Part 5 – 66 Exemptions.

Those hosting planned events in the community may also apply for a Noise Permit at no cost. They are not issued for construction work. A noise permit application should be submitted at least four weeks before the event.

A noise permit does not grant a license to hold an event on public property and may be required in addition to other permits that have been obtained such as a permit to hold a street festival or block partya park use permit; or a liquor permit

Police helicopter noise concerns

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.