Motor vehicle collisions

You do not need to report a straightforward collision to the police. These reports can be made directly to Manitoba Public Insurance. But if your collision involves any of these things, you must report it the police:

  • Fatality.
  • Hospitalization because of injury.  Hospitalization means admitted to hospital for ongoing care, not just treated and released from an emergency room or urgent care.
  • An unlicensed driver or unregistered vehicle.
  • An unidentified vehicle (e.g., hit and run).  Hit and run collisions without a suspect can only be reported online.
  • You failed to get the other driver's particulars.
  • You suspect the other driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • A domestic animal and the owner could not be located.

You must report these types of collisions to the police within seven days. Reports can be made in person at Police Headquarters, 245 Smith St, or by telephone at 204-986-8666.  Hours for in-person or telephone reporting are 8:00 am to 4:00pm, 7 days a week.

You can now file a hit & run report online. Please note: If the incident involves a pedestrian, cyclist, physical injury, known suspect, you must report in person or by telephone as indicated above.

A “Known Suspect” means that you can positively identify the driver.  A license plate, description of a person, or the existence of video surveillance footage does not qualify as a “Known Suspect”. 

Share a traffic complaint online. This includes incidents involving aggressive driving and/or a traffic violation or reoccurring situation at specific location.

If you spot a suspected impaired driver or a driver you believe to be putting lives in immediate danger, please call 9-1-1Do not use social media to make these reports.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.