The Bomb Unit continued to investigate and after thorough testing has just provided an update. The device, although it appears to be live, has been determined to be non-viable.
On November 21, 2022, at approximately 1:00 a.m., members from the West District were patrolling the Weston neighbourhood when they observed a male walking down a back lane. He displayed characteristics of an armed individual with an object protruding from his waistband
Police took him into custody, and a blade within a sheath and a grenade were concealed in his clothing.
The area was cordoned off for safety precautions. The grenade was determined to be “live” and was safely extracted and disposed of by the Bomb Unit.
Steven John STEVENSON (35) of Winnipeg was charged with the following offences:
- Possession of a Weapon x 2
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition x 2
- Fail to Comply with Release Order x 3
- Warrant for Fail to Comply with Probation Order
- Warrant for Fail to Attend Court
He was detained in custody.