About the Service Division 41
Internet Child Exploitation Unit (I.C.E.)
The Winnipeg Police Service Internet Child Exploitation Unit has been in existence since early 2000. It was created to investigate child sexual abuse and child sexual exploitation that is facilitated through the use of the Internet and related computer or telecommunication systems. The ICE Unit works closely with the National Child Exploitation Coordination Centre in Ottawa as well as Cybertip.ca, and other local and international police child exploitation units.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To investigate reports provided by the public as well as proactively identify persons who use the Internet to groom and procure children for the purposes of sexual abuse and sexual exploitation.
- To investigate the production, dissemination and possession of images of child sexual exploitation (Child Pornography) that is facilitated by use of the Internet and related computer or telecommunication devices.
- Coordinate the Winnipeg Police Service response to matters relating to child sexual exploitation via the Internet and related computer or telecommunication devices referred from external law enforcement agencies.
- Provide forensic examination of computers and related systems used for the purposes of facilitating child sexual exploitation and sexual abuse.
- To assist with community awareness and education with regard to the safe use of the Internet and the protection of children from internet facilitated sexual exploitation.
If you are aware of a child at immediate risk of online sexual assault or exploitation, call 9-1-1 immediately or call the Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-6222.