Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Accessibility

History & Museum > Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories

The Winnipeg Police Department - History & Formation
Assiniboia Police Dept | Brooklands Police Dept | East Kildonan Police | Fort Garry Police | North Kildonan Police Dept | Old Kildonan Police Dept | St. Boniface Police | St. James-Assiniboia Police Dept | St. James Police Dept | St. Vital Police | Transcona Police | Tuxedo Police | West Kildonan Police
 

Shoulder Flashes

Tuxedo Police Shoulder Flash
Tuxedo Police Shoulder Flash
Tuxedo Police Shoulder Flash
Tuxedo Police Shoulder Flash

Tuxedo Police 1913-1972

The town of Tuxedo was incorporated in 1913, and originally patrolled by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police until establishing their own Police force in 1957. The Tuxedo Police Department had 5 members when it amalgamated with the Winnipeg Police on October 21, 1972, in preparation for the amalgamation of all forces in 1974.

 

History

The Town of Tuxedo was incorporated on February 14, 1913 and the RCMP were responsible for the maintenance of law and order. In 1957 the town council appointed Regis NEWTON as the first Chief Constable, formally creating the Tuxedo Police Force. NEWTON served until 1960 when Reginald ALCOCK succeeded him. ALCOCK remained in that position until his retirement in 1972 when the Town of Tuxedo Police Force became unified with the City of Winnipeg Police Department. At that time the Tuxedo force consisted of one chief Constable, one Sergeant, one Patrol Sergeant, and three constables who were responsible for patrolling an area of 8 square miles while serving a population of 3,800.

Fort Rouge or "B" Division of the Winnipeg Police Force was extended to include the Tuxedo Area, with a Divisional Headquarters being set up in the vacated Tuxedo Police Station. The entire area became part of District 6 when unification of all the Greater Winnipeg Police Forces took place in 1974.

 

Pre-Amalgamation Staff List

Chief of Police: ALCOCK, Reginald
(retired before amalgamation)
Sergeant:

BROWN, Richard L.

Patrol Sergeant:

ATEAH, Carl F.

Constables:

BOUTANG, David H.
DUNCAN, George I.
THORNHILL, Allan W.

   

 

The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Staff Sergeant Rod Hutter.

 

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: September 21, 2017

 * Top of Page