West End Sewage Treatment Plant
The West End Sewage Treatment Plant is located at 7740 Wilkes Avenue just west of the Perimeter Highway. The WEWPCC treats about 10% of the wastewater generated in the City of Winnipeg.
- Population served: 86,000
- Average daily flow treated: 20 million litres per day
- Contaminants removed: 6,055 kilograms of solids per day
- West End Sewage Treatment Plant licence
- West End Sewage Treatment Plant compliance reporting
- Five lagoon cells (three primary and two secondary) were put into service in 1964 and provided a treatment capacity of 14 million litres per day
- In 1973, an extended aeration plant was added to increase total treatment capacity up to 41 million litres per day
- A conventional activated sludge plant, that increased treatment capacity to 54 million litres per day, was commissioned in 1993
- In 2005, the five lagoon cells were modified to enable year-round operation to provide natural light disinfection in the summer and cooling in the winter
- The conventional activated sludge plant was modified in 2008 to remove both nitrogen and phosphorus.
Last updated: June 29, 2018