North End Sewage Treatment Plant
Located at 2230 Main Street, The NEWPCC (North End Water Pollution Control Centre) processes approximately 70% of the wastewater treated in Winnipeg.
- Population served: 404,000
- Average daily flow treated: 195 million litres per day
- Contaminants removed: 57,400 kilograms of total solids per day
- NEWPCC licence
- NEWPCC compliance reporting
- First commissioned in 1937 as a treatment plant with digestion of sludge.
- Upgraded in 1964 to a conventional activated sludge plant and converted to high purity oxygen (HPO) in 1985
- Mechanical sludge dewatering (centrifuges) was added in 1990 to dewater sludge
- To meet effluent E. coli and fecal coliform limits, Ultraviolet Disinfection (UV) went into service in 2006
- A new biological process was added in 2007 to remove ammonia nitrogen that is released during sludge digestion and dewatering
Last updated: June 29, 2018