Sewer By-law Review (Completed)
We have reviewed the existing Sewer By-law and are proposing changes. We have prepared a draft by-law and are now seeking feedback from businesses and the public before we send it to City Council for consideration.
The recommendation stated that we should update our By-law to:
- expand the list of restricted substances,
- prevent disposal of contaminants of concern,
- encourage treatment at source,
- improve enforcement of the By-law, and
- increase penalties for violations.
We prepared the draft by-law in user-friendly language and:
- followed the recommendations made by the CEC,
- followed the principles contained in a draft Model Sewer Use By-law produced by the Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment to help municipalities develop sewer by-laws,
- used the Toronto Sewer By-law as a model and reviewed by-laws from eight other Canadian cities, and
- referred to the National Pollutant Release Inventory set up under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act to determine the pollutants to be restricted or controlled.
- Sewer By-law (pdf - 345kb) Updated July 7, 2010
- Potential expanded business sectors – Schedule F (pdf - 67kb)
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- Environment Canada's pollution prevention fact sheets
- Examples of pollution prevention planning and best management practices – City of Toronto
Comments were received until March 12, 2010.
We held two public meetings at the Masonic Memorial Temple, 420 Corydon Avenue:
- Tuesday, February 9, 2010 (evening session)
- Wednesday, February 10, 2010 (morning session)
Your input and our recommendations will be included in the report that goes forward to Council.
- July 2010 – Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works – Enactment of new Sewer By-law to replace Sewer By-law No. 7070/97
- July 2010 – Summary of Changes in New Sewer By-law (pdf - 43kb)
- July 2010 – Sewer By-Law Feedback and Disposition of Comments (pdf - 74kb)
- April 2010 – Sewer By-law Review Public Participation Report (pdf - 132kb)
- February 2010 – Sewer By-law Review public meeting presentation (pdf - 114kb)
- February 2010 – Sewer By-law Review public meeting story boards (pdf - 56kb)
- February 2010 – Press release: Invitation to comment on proposed changes to Sewer By-law
- February 2010 – Sewer By-law review public meeting advertisement (pdf - 31kb)
- January 2010 – Invitation to public meeting (pdf - 28kb) (pdf - 31kb)
- January 2010 – Summary of changes (pdf - 30kb) (pdf - 44kb)
Last updated: June 29, 2018