Sewage treatment plant upgrades and expansion program
As directed by City Council on November 19, 2008, the Chief Administrative Officer of the City initiated a procurement process to assist the City in its upgrade and expansion of the civic sewage treatment system.
The City is required under provincial environmental license to make these various improvements under strict deadlines in order to enhance environmental protection.
City Council directed a new model be pursued to better manage risk, protect taxpayers and enhance accountability of results in the construction projects and long term operation of the sewage treatment system.
The documents that were created to procure this assistance are available below.
The process ended with the City Council decision on May 12, 2010, directing the Chief Administrative Officer to draft and sign a contract hiring assistance for the sewage treatment system upgrades and expansion. In this same decision, City Council set out the many key terms by which the contract to be drafted must confirm. Amongst others, City Council directed that:
- The civic sewage treatment system at all times remain 100% owned by the City.
- The contract for services will be for sewage treatment assistance only and will have nothing whatsoever to do with our drinking water system or any other City services.
- City staff continue to operate and maintain the sewage treatment facilities.
- City managers continue to be responsible for management of both the facilities and the staff operating and maintaining them.
- The City continues to be responsible for funding the system by means of rate setting and other government support.
Note that the request for qualifications and request for proposals reflected the City's thinking at the time of their issue. The final contract will be consistent with the Council direction of May 12, 2010.
- Request for expressions of interest (pdf - 61kb)
- Request for qualifications (pdf - 103kb)
- Request for proposals (pdf - 690kb)
- Request for proposals - Addendum 1 (pdf - 312kb)
- Addendum 1 (pdf - 29kb)
- Request for proposals - Addendum 2 (pdf - 328kb)
- Addendum 2 (pdf - 17kb)
- Request for proposals - Term sheet 1 (pdf - 27kb)
- Request for proposals - Term sheet 2 (pdf - 119kb)
- Request for proposals - Term sheet 3 (pdf - 86kb)
- Request for proposals - Term sheet 4 (pdf - 10kb)
- Request for proposals - Term sheet 5 (pdf - 45kb)
- Agreement with Veolia for provision of advice and professional services
This page was last updated on June 29, 2018