Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Walk-up collection service

Effective October 1, 2017, changes will be made to our walk-up collection service, including:

  • yard waste eligibility
  • required signature of a relevant medical professional
What is walk-up collection service?

Our collectors will walk up to your home, empty and return your recycling and garbage carts. They will also collect yard waste in paper yard waste bags. Yard waste in other containers cannot be collected.

Who is eligible for this service?

Residents who:

  • are functionally unable to get their recycling and garbage carts to the curb or lane, and
  • have no one in the house who can do this.
What must I do to receive walk-up service?

You must:

  • apply for the service
  • make your address clearly visible from the front street and back lane (if applicable)
  • make your carts and yard waste bags easy to see and get to (e.g., snow cleared, gates unlocked)
  • leave your carts and yard waste bags no further than 15 metres (50 feet) from the regular collection point.
Why must I have my address visible from the back lane?

Our collectors must be able to identify your property to provide walk-up service.

Do I need a signature from my physician?

Effective October 1, 2017, you will be required to have a relevant medical professional (e.g., family practitioner, occupational therapist, physiotherapist) indicate their support of the request on your initial application.

If you signed up for walk-up service before October 1, 2017, you will have until October 1, 2018 to provide an application with a medical signature.

Is there a charge for walk-up collection service?


Can the collectors enter my home or garage to collect my recycling and garbage carts?

No. Collectors are not permitted to enter your home or other structures.

I already receive walk-up service for my recycling and garbage carts. Do I need to apply for walk-up service for yard waste collection?

If you signed up for walk-up collection service before October 1, 2017, you will need to submit a new application indicating you require walk-up collection service for yard waste.

Will you also take away large items, such as appliances and furniture, as part of walk-up collection?

No. Contact 311 to arrange for the collection of large items. Items must be placed at the regular collection point. There will be a charge.

How do I apply?

Complete the application form En français and return it to us.

How long can I receive the service?

Depending on your need, you can apply for the service either temporarily or permanently.

  • Temporarily - a year or less
    • you specify how long you need this service
  • Permanently
    • We will provide the service as long as you need.
    • You must reapply for the service each year.
    • We will send out renewal forms close to the anniversary of your initial application.

It is up to you to let us know if you no longer need the service or if there is a change in your service requirement (e.g., address change).

How long before I know if I qualify for the service?

One or two weeks. We will phone you.

I already receive walk-up collection service. Do I need to reapply for the service?

Yes. Effective October 1, 2017, you will have to meet all the conditions of the new walk-up collection service. You will have until October 1, 2018 to submit a new application including support from a relevant medical professional.

For more information, contact 311.

Last updated: October 4, 2018

Application forms

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.