Walk-up collection service
Effective October 1, 2017, changes will be made to our walk-up collection service, including:
- yard waste eligibility
- required signature of a relevant medical professional
What is walk-up collection service?
Our collectors will walk up to your home, empty and return your recycling and garbage carts. They will also collect yard waste in paper yard waste bags. Yard waste in other containers cannot be collected.
Who is eligible for this service?
- are functionally unable to get their recycling and garbage carts to the curb or lane, and
- have no one in the house who can do this.
What must I do to receive walk-up service?
- apply for the service
- make your address clearly visible from the front street and back lane (if applicable)
- make your carts and yard waste bags easy to see and get to (e.g., snow cleared, gates unlocked)
- leave your carts and yard waste bags no further than 15 metres (50 feet) from the regular collection point.
Why must I have my address visible from the back lane?
Our collectors must be able to identify your property to provide walk-up service.
Do I need a signature from my physician?
Effective October 1, 2017, you will be required to have a relevant medical professional (e.g., family practitioner, occupational therapist, physiotherapist) indicate their support of the request on your initial application.
If you signed up for walk-up service before October 1, 2017, you will have until October 1, 2018 to provide an application with a medical signature.
Is there a charge for walk-up collection service?
Can the collectors enter my home or garage to collect my recycling and garbage carts?
No. Collectors are not permitted to enter your home or other structures.
I already receive walk-up service for my recycling and garbage carts. Do I need to apply for walk-up service for yard waste collection?
If you signed up for walk-up collection service before October 1, 2017, you will need to submit a new application indicating you require walk-up collection service for yard waste.
Will you also take away large items, such as appliances and furniture, as part of walk-up collection?
How do I apply?
How long can I receive the service?
Depending on your need, you can apply for the service either temporarily or permanently.
- Temporarily - a year or less
- you specify how long you need this service
- We will provide the service as long as you need.
- You must reapply for the service each year.
- We will send out renewal forms close to the anniversary of your initial application.
It is up to you to let us know if you no longer need the service or if there is a change in your service requirement (e.g., address change).
How long before I know if I qualify for the service?
One or two weeks. We will phone you.
I already receive walk-up collection service. Do I need to reapply for the service?
Yes. Effective October 1, 2017, you will have to meet all the conditions of the new walk-up collection service. You will have until October 1, 2018 to submit a new application including support from a relevant medical professional.
For more information, contact 311.