Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Household hazardous waste disposal

Household hazardous waste is any product discarded from a home that contains volatile chemicals. These products:

  • can ignite and cause a fire
  • are corrosive and can eat away materials and destroy living tissue when contact occurs
  • can be explosive and/or reactive and can release poisonous fumes when exposed to air, water or other chemicals
  • are toxic or poisonous, either immediately or over a long period of time
Where can I properly dispose of household hazardous waste products?

You can dispose of household hazardous waste at

Containers used to transport hazardous liquids will not be returned to you.

Hazardous waste should NEVER:
  • be placed out for recycling/garbage collection
  • be dumped in sewers, drains or open bodies of water
  • be buried in the ground
  • be burned
  • be disposed of in landfills
Improper disposal of leftover hazardous waste products can:
  • cause harmful chemicals to enter the environment and contaminate our land and water.
  • cause long term health problems or seriously injure you, recycling/garbage collectors and landfill operators.
  • damage the sewer in your home and the City's sewer system.
Examples of accepted household hazardous waste products:
image of examples of household hazardous waste products
  • aerosol cans
  • antifreeze (radiator fluid)
  • automotive batteries
  • bleach
  • barbeque and camping fuel
  • compressed gas cylinders / propane tanks
  • chemical lawn fertilizers
  • compact fluorescent lights (CFLs)
  • gasoline
  • household cleaners and disinfectants (toilet, oven or drain)
  • herbicides (weed killers)
  • insect repellent
  • pesticides / insecticides (rodent and insect killers)
  • paint brush cleaners / solvents
  • empty paint cans
  • latex and oil-based paints (oil-based/alkyd)
  • disposal of regular garbage items that need special handling
  • swimming pool chemicals
  • varnish remover
  • used oil products

Note: All products must be in their original containers. Containers without their original labels, that are leaking, or are improperly sealed are not accepted.

Be a label reader

These danger symbols identify many hazardous waste products.

Corrosive, explosive, poison and flammable hazardous waste symbols

Use as much of the product as you can before you consider it waste. See if your family and friends can use it.

For additional information on proper disposal of household hazardous waste contact 311

Manitoba Conservation logo

Last updated: July 14, 2020

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.