Information for lawyers
Transfer of ownership
When representing a seller (vendor), lawyers should:
- ensure we receive a final meter reading from the seller
- send us a completed copy of the request for final water account balance form and return it our office
- fill out and email either version of the form to the email address on the form (preferred option)
- print, fill out and fax either version of the form to
- print, fill out and mail either version of the form to:
Water and Waste Department
Susan A. Thompson Building – Main Floor
510 Main Street
Send it to the attention of "Lawyer Information".
Attached cheques for final water account balances should be made payable to "City of Winnipeg Water and Waste".
When representing a buyer, lawyers should:
- Obtain a copy of the completed request for final water account balance form from the seller's lawyer before concluding the legal transaction
- Advise the buyer to contact Utility Billing Centre to:
- establish themselves as the new account holder; and
- provide us with their initial meter reading
Contact Utility Billing Centre during regular business hours if you want additional information about the vendor's account. We will respond by phone only to the following questions:
- Is the vendor's account finalized?
- Is the final water bill based on an actual water meter reading?
- What was the final water meter reading?
- Is the vendor's final water paid in full?
- If the final water bill is not paid in full, is the outstanding amount lienable?
Request for final water account balance (pdf - 136kb) Adobe Reader versions 7 and higher compatible
Can be filled out online and emailed directly to us by selecting the "Email" button at the bottom of the form. A step-by-step "wizard" will help you email the form. Disregard any warnings about only the data and not the form itself being sent as we do receive the form and all its entered data. Once sent, a copy of the file is in your email program's sent items folder.
Request for final water account balance (pdf - 136kb) Adobe Reader version 6 and lower compatible
Can be filled out online, then saved and sent as an attachment to the email address on the form. If filling out multiple forms at once, don't forget to save each with a unique name to avoid overwriting any previous forms.
The above documents are in pdf format . Selecting either will open the pdf file in a new browser window. Close the new window to return to this page. In order to view these documents, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Contact Utility Billing Centre if you have any difficulties using the forms.