Adjustment of sewer charges program
This program is for customers who use large volumes of water not discharged to the wastewater system, land drainage works, or into a body of water (e.g., river, stream, retention pond).
Examples of approved applications include:
- water lost to evaporation (e.g., cooling tower)
- water used in product (e.g., food manufacturing)
The program is based on volume, not on specific processes. We review each application separately.
To qualify, you must:
- Submit an application form along with all required information.
- Pay in advance the application fee as listed in the Fees and Charges Schedule.
- Demonstrate by water meter readings that more than 1,000 kilolitres of your annual water use does not go into the wastewater system, land drainage works or into a body of water.
- Pay for the installation of cold water meters and any plumbing modifications required.
- Supply, install and maintain a wastewater meter, or any other meter, if required.
You can find full details of the program requirements in the City of Winnipeg Sewer By-law 92/2010, Section 88.
Estimate of adjustment
To estimate the adjustment:
- estimate the amount of water you used that did not go into the sewer system
- subtract 1,000 kilolitres
- multiply by the current sewer rate.
Applying for the adjustment
To apply, complete the application (pdf - 327kb)
If you qualify for the adjustment
- You will pay sewer charges on the first 1,000 kilolitres of water used.
- We will credit the initial application fee (and subsequent renewal fees), back to your account.
- We will supply and maintain the cold water meters. If they are already in place, we will replace them as required.
- We will credit the sewer charge adjustment to your account annually.
- You will pay a renewal fee as listed in Schedule "A" for subsequent years.
To opt out of the program
Do not pay the annual renewal fee.
For more information, contact 311.