City of Winnipeg Archives
A sophisticated understanding of the past is one of the most powerful tools we have for shaping the future. In Winnipeg, the building that houses the records that document the city’s past is in the beginning stages of a major renewal project.
The City of Winnipeg Archives is located in the Carnegie Library building at 380 William Avenue. The building opened in 1905 as the City’s main library. After Centennial Library (now Millennium) was built, library operations were scaled down and space in the basement was used to store “old” records from all amalgamating municipalities. In 1994, the entire building was turned over to the City Clerk’s Department for records storage.
Following a structural audit in 2005, a program evaluation in 2009, and an architectural study in 2010, the Archives is on course to redevelop the facility to properly house the collection and redesign space on the main floor to deliver a public-focused program of research and community engagement on issues in Winnipeg history - our collection is especially rich in records that relate to the built environment at the community level, and social/political/environmental issues from an urban perspective. The Archives also develops and hosts programs that cross over disciplines, such as writing and filmmaking, and our collection has been used by numerous academics, writers and filmmakers whose works have achieved popular success. Visit our exhibits page to view items from our holdings.
Project components of interest to potential sponsors include: the archival vault and storage equipment; multi-purpose room furnishings and fixtures; research room equipment/technology to enhance access to records; creation of outreach tools for educational use.