Traffic Count Program
The Traffic Studies Branch conducts hundreds of traffic counts each year for a number of purposes including analysis of traffic problems, transportation planning, and traffic signal timing.
Types of counts include:
- traffic volume counts by automatic traffic recorders (usually road tubes);
- traffic speed studies;
- traffic classification counts;
- manual turning movement counts;
- manual pedestrian counts;
- manual vehicle and pedestrian delay studies.
Existing counts are available to the public. The cost of providing these counts is $87.00 per hour + GST with a minimum of $43.50 + GST (cost is based on the staff time required to process the count request). People requesting counts should identify the location they are looking for traffic count information (intersection or road segment between intersections) and the type of data required (e.g., detailed intersection turning movement count, or simply a 24-hour average weekday traffic volume).
Information on traffic counts is available by contacting 311.