Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
What’s Your Residential Street Snow Zone?
Parks and Open Space

Contractor Questions

How do I pre-qualify to do this type of work?

In order to pre-qualify for pruning and removal work with the City of Winnipeg, a number of credentials are needed. In summary, tree pruning and removal contractors require:

  • Appropriate Insurance (as attached)
  • Coverage by Worker's Compensation
  • Staff with Manitoba Arborist Licenses
  • Evidence of a Safety and Health Program

On the other hand, tree planting and stump removal contractors require:

  • Appropriate Insurance (as attached)
  • Coverage by Worker's Compensation
  • Evidence of a Safety and Health Program

Each of these requirements is discussed in further detail below:

1. Insurance Requirements

Please see the attached document entitled, "Insurance Requirements for Contractors to Perform Arboricultural Services on Trees Under the Control of the Urban Forestry Branch".

2. Worker's Compensation Letter

A letter is required stating that your company is in good standing with the Worker's Compensation Board. This letter must be sent to us annually, and if the status changes, you must inform us immediately.

3. Manitoba Arborist License

Each of your company's staff that are pruning or removing city-owned trees must possess a valid Manitoba Arborist License. Please FAX copies of the wallet sized license cards to the Urban Forestry Branch at 204-222-2839.
They can also be mailed to:

Urban Forestry Branch
City of Winnipeg
1539 Waverley St.
Winnipeg, MB
R3T 4V7

Changes in the status of your staff carrying Manitoba Arborist Licenses must be reported to us immediately.

4. Evidence of a Safety and Health Program:

Your company or related sub-contractors shall provide evidence of an acceptable safety and health program based on a COR designation or the report of an independent consultant (for an approved consultant list please see the Information Connection at the City of Winnipeg, Corporate Finances, Materials Management Division internet site at: // or call 311 and a copy of this information can be mailed out to you.

Urban Forestry Branch Contact Information:
1539 Waverley St., Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 4V7
tel: 311, Fax: 204.222.2839

Last update: January 15, 2018
Contact the Public Works Department
General Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday to Friday
1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3P1

Phone, Fax, Email: 311