Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Parks and Open Space

Adopt-a-Rink Program

Contact 311 for additional information.

An Adopt-a-Rink is a great way to have a skating rink in your neighbourhood park by using your own volunteers.

If you are interested in maintaining a rink in a park close to your home, several things are required for you to consider:

  • It is the operators' responsibility to obtain sufficient liability insurance.
  • Authorization is required from the Parks and Open Space Division before proceeding; authorization will only be granted to insured operators.
  • Is the park on level ground?
  • Flooding the rink is you or your groups responsibility - is your garden hose long enough?
  • Will you have help from your neighbours?

For more information on Adopt-a-Rink please contact 311 to setup an appointment with an area technician.

Rink installation and maintenance procedures

The Parks and Open Space Division is pleased to provide you with steps and tips on how to install and maintain an Adopt-a-Rink on City property. This information has been compiled thanks to the expertise of parks staff that maintain our community pleasure rinks. We hope this step by step approach will assist you in providing hours of outdoor winter fun for you and your family.

Where should I put my Adopt-a-Rink?
  • Find a level park area approved by a parks representative to place your rink.
  • A hard surface such as asphalt, concrete or gravel base is recommended.
  • A grassy area is acceptable. It is important to note though that significant damage will occur to the grass and it will be slower to green up in the spring.
How do I make a border?
  • Banking up snow to form the edge of the rink is recommended.
  • The area to be flooded should be carefully scraped down to the ground level and this snow used for banks.
  • Lightly freeze in the banks.
Okay, I am ready to flood my rink. What do I do now?
  • Freeze the bare ground first with a light spray; this seals the ground.
  • Your outdoor water service is fine but remember to drain the tap and hose and turn the water off inside, just as you would turn off the service for winter.
  • Then apply several light floods allowing time to freeze between each one. Too much water at one time can lead to uneven freezing and air pockets may form.
What should I do to keep the rink in good condition?
  • Scrape away loose snow or remove bumps before flooding.
  • Apply a layer of water to renew the rink.
  • Fill cracks and borders with slushy snow. Pack the slush with your foot, let it freeze and flood over top.
  • A weekly inspection by both the volunteer group and a city representative will ensure safe ice conditions, any poor conditions will be dealt with as soon as possible.
Other hints and suggestions
  • Keep off ice after flooding, as it is very slippery when wet.
  • Proper footwear (skates or non slip boots) and helmets for skaters are recommended.
  • Allow the ice to melt naturally in the spring.

To find out who your area representative (technician) is, please contact 311.

Last update: February 6, 2020
Contact the Public Works Department
General Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday to Friday
1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3P1

Phone, Fax, Email: 311

Was this information helpful?

How can we make it better?

Any personal information included in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Quelles améliorations pourrions-nous faire?

Les renseignements personnels qui sont inclus dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer notre site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone (311) si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.