Off-Leash Dog Area - Hockey Pens
As the demand for off-leash areas in the city grows, many community centres are considering turning their outdoor rinks into dog parks during the non-winter months.
The City has worked with the Greater Council of Winnipeg Community Centres to develop a process that allows individual centres' boards to request such a designation easily and expediently.
One of two things starts the process:
- A resident submits to their community centre board a request to convert their community centre's ice rink to a temporary, seasonal off-leash area; or
- A community centre board initiates the conversion in and of their own accord.
The following steps then occur:
- The board discusses and votes on the request and - if approved - submits a written request to the City of Winnipeg's Manager of Parks and Open Space.
- The appropriate park superintendent provides an outline of maintenance responsibilities to the board. In all cases, the City is responsible to provide signage for the off-leash area.
- If the board is agreeable to the maintenance terms, the City CAO (or designate) either approves or denies the request.
- If approved, the site is added to the City's website and is available annually for public use until such a time as the community centre terminates their agreement.
For more information, contact 311