Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Parks and Open Space


A wetland is a depression of land which contains water for all or most of the year. Prairie wetlands get their water from snow, rain, and groundwater. Wetlands can be large or small, shallow or deep. They can be filled with plants from one end to the other, or they can be open water with plants growing mostly around the edges. Wetland The different types of wetland that can be found in Winnipeg and the surrounding area include: Swamps - a wetland dominated by trees or shrubs. Marshes - a wetland frequently or continually filled with water, with plants that are adapted to growing in wet or saturated soils. Potholes - shallow marsh-like ponds that may not hold water during periods of dry weather. Fens - a wetland with marshlike vegetation that develops in an area of organic solids (peat) that receives some water draining from surrounding mineral soils. Bogs - a wetland dominated by mosses and conifer trees that develop in an area of organic soils (peat) and no inflows or outflows of water.

Within a wetland there can be a number of different zones, where habitat conditions vary, depending on the level of the water. A wet meadow is an area with wet soils but no open water. Plants growing here need more moisture than the drier prairie plants but do not like to be flooded for very long each year. The area called the emergent marsh occurs where the water is shallow around the edges of marshes and potholes. Plants living here are able to grow in standing water and are tall enough to emerge above the water to reach the sunlight. If the water level in the wetland drops, the emergent marsh can become an exposed mudflat. If this area stays without water for some time, plants that do not like to be flooded will begin to grow here. An area of permanent open water can be found in some larger marshes and swamps. Plants growing in this deeper water may appear to be floating on the surface but most have stems and leaves that are submerged below the water.

Last update: March 5, 2020
Contact the Public Works Department
General Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday to Friday
1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3P1

Phone, Fax, Email: 311

Was this information helpful?

How can we make it better?

Any personal information included in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Quelles améliorations pourrions-nous faire?

Les renseignements personnels qui sont inclus dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer notre site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone (311) si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.