Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Planning, Property & Development

Waterway Permit Application

Learn about water permit requirements, the application process, required supporting materials, and payment of fees.

Open all | Close all

Waterway Permit

Any person proposing work within 106.7 m (350 ft) of the regulated summer water level of the Red, Assiniboine, Seine and La Salle Rivers or within 76.2 m (250 ft) of the regulated summer water level of Omand's, Bunn's, Sturgeon, and Truro creeks, within the boundaries of the City of Winnipeg, must obtain a Waterway Permit prior to commencing construction.

riverbank stabilizationA Waterway Permit is required for:

  • the deposit, removal, alteration or disturbance of any material
  • the construction or demolition of a building or other structure
  • the alteration of surface or subsurface drainage
  • the diversion of a waterway or alteration of a channel of a waterway

Applications are to be submitted to:

The City of Winnipeg
Planning, Property and Development Department
Waterways Section
Unit 15 - 30 Fort Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3C 4X5
Telephone: 204-986-5098Sample waterway permit application

Sample Application Form

To view a larger sample of a Waterway Permit Application Form, click on the image to the right.

For more information or assistance please contact the Waterways Section at 204-986-5098 or via email .

Supporting Material to Accompany Application Form

The applicant must submit two copies (one of the two copies may be submitted electronically) of scaled construction drawings including as follows:

  1. Site Plan showing the location of the proposed works relative to the property lines, existing structures and the river or creek edge.
  2. Design Drawings (not preliminary plans)
  3. Section* through the proposed works to the river or creek edge using geodetic datum. The submitted section must reflect the minimum distance of the proposed works to the river or creek edge.

    Section* refers to:
    Through proposed works to the river or creek edge using geodetic datum and to show:

    • building outline, including type of foundation and geodetic elevations of basement and ground floor
    • for fill area, existing and proposed riverbank elevations

Site Plan:

  • legal description of the property
  • lot dimensions
  • dimensions of proposed works
  • location of waterway relative to proposed works
  • shortest distance of proposed works from the waterway (regulated summer water level)
  • modifications to site drainage

Foundation and Floor Plans

  • foundation details
  • floor layout
  • building elevation
  • roof drainage

*Note: Please contact the Waterways Section at 204-986-5098 or via email: to determine if the submission of a survey section as prepared by Manitoba Land Surveyor or Professional Engineer is required in support of your application.

Submission of Engineer's Report

The City may request that an Engineer's report be submitted in support of the permit application. The report may be a professional opinion, office study, or a detailed geotechnical study as justified by the risk, complexity and uncertainty associated with the project and the riverbank. The report shall be prepared and submitted under the signature and seal of a qualified professional engineer that is skilled in geotechnical engineering, and legally entitled to practice in the Province of Manitoba.

Construction within the Designated Floodway Fringe Area

If the works are located within the Designated Floodway Fringe Area, flood proofing measures must be incorporated in compliance with the Designated Floodway Fringe Area Regulation 266/91. For further information, contact the Zoning Development Branch at 204-986-5140.

Review of Applications

Applications are processed according to the order in which they are received.

The time frame to process and complete the technical assessment for each application will vary depending upon the volume of applications, and the complexity and nature of the proposed project.

A Waterway Permit will be issued pursuant to Waterway By-law No. 5888/92. If you disagree with any decision of Waterways, an objection may be made to the Standing Policy Committee on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment of the City of Winnipeg, c/o Clerk of the Standing Policy Committee on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment, City Clerks Department, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 1B9.

Payment of Fees

This non-refundable fee is required at the time of the application. The City accepts the following forms of payment:

  • Cash
  • Cheque (payable to the City of Winnipeg)
  • Debit
  • Money Order
  • Trust Account
  • Visa
  • Master Card
  • American Express
Schedule of Fees (Effective January 1, 2019)

Important Notice

  • Other approvals such as zoning variance, building permit, Floodway Fringe Area Regulation approvals may be required prior to proceeding with work.  To identify any such approvals you may wish to have your Waterway Permit Application and project details reviewed by the Zoning Development Branch at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street. Call 204-986-5140 for more information.

  • For winter construction on the City's frozen waterways, a Frozen Waterway Permit must be obtained through the Zoning and Permits office at 204-986-5140. In particular, vehicular traffic or the establishment of a structure on the ice surface, is prohibited without this Permit.

Last update: January 16, 2019