Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas
Notice to building permit applicants - The Zoning & Permits Branch is not currently accepting walk-in customers. Permit applications are being processed. However, permit applications must be submitted digitally. Learn more about Digital Permit Applications options and requirements. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
When is a Permit Required?
An in-ground or above-ground pool, hot tub/spa or any other structure located outdoors requires a Building Permit if it is capable of containing 600 mm (2'-0") or more of water.
Zoning and Construction Requirements
- Refer to the Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas brochure for more information about zoning, construction and electrical requirements for outdoor private in-ground and above-ground pools, hot tubs/spas and other structures.
Note: A separate Electrical Permit is required for all Outdoor Pools and Hot Tub/Spa projects.
- Refer to the Decks brochure for more information about zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential dwellings that may be required for associated construction.
- 1 copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure.
Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.
- In-ground pools only - 1 copy of structural design drawings, sealed and signed by a Professional Engineer registered with the Province of Manitoba.
- Hot tubs/spas on existing decks - 1 copy of construction drawings of the deck to verify that the structure is capable of supporting the additional loads imposed by the placement of the hot tub/spa. Specifications, including dry weight and water capacity are also required.
- Completed Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas Permit Application Form
- Completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
Separate Deck and Electrical permits are required, if applicable to your project:
How to apply:
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
- Apply online
- In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com/ or call 1-800-940-3447.