Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Planning, Property & Development

Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas

When is a Permit Required?

An in-ground or above-ground pool, hot tub/spa or any other structure located outdoors requires a Building Permit if it is capable of containing 600 mm (2'-0") or more of water.

Application requirements

Zoning and Construction Requirements

  • Refer to the Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas┬ábrochure for more information about zoning, construction and electrical requirements for outdoor private in-ground and above-ground pools, hot tubs/spas and other structures.

Note: A separate Electrical Permit is required for all Outdoor Pools and Hot Tub/Spa projects.

  • Refer to the Decks brochure for more information about zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential dwellings that may be required for associated construction.

Required Documentation

  • 1 copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure.

Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.

  • In-ground pools only - 1 copy of structural design drawings, sealed and signed by a Professional Engineer registered with the Province of Manitoba.
  • Hot tubs/spas on existing decks - 1 copy of construction drawings of the deck to verify that the structure is capable of supporting the additional loads imposed by the placement of the hot tub/spa. Specifications, including dry weight and water capacity are also required.
  • Completed Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas Permit Application Form
  • Completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)

Separate Deck and Electrical permits are required, if applicable to your project:

Access Permits Online

How to apply:

Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.

  • Apply online
  • In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit or call 1-800-940-3447.

Last update: December 1, 2020
Zoning & Permits Customer Information

Location: Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 4X7

Permits Direct Line: 204-986-5140


Tuesday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Please be advised that our offices are closed to customers on Mondays, which are reserved for telephone inquiries, processing completed drop-off applications, and other administrative work.

To schedule a permit application appointment, call 204-986-5140 or email ppd-permitappointments

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.