House Additions and
Notice to building permit applicants - The Zoning & Permits Branch is not currently accepting walk-in customers. Permit applications are being processed. However, permit applications must be submitted digitally. Learn more about Digital Permit Applications options and requirements. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Advice and permit information for house additions, attached garages and carports
To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.
Here is a list of brochures to guide you with your house addition / attached garage building project:
A 20-page guide to the plans required when applying for a building permit for a house addition.
A 32-page homeowners’ guide for electrical installations in single-family dwellings, detached garages and sheds.
An 18-page homeowner’s guide of plumbing requirements for single-family dwellings.
- Two sets of full construction plans, showing foundation details, architectural details and including site plan showing the location of existing structures on the site.
- Copy of a Surveyor’s Building Location Certificate – may be waived if sufficient detail on site plan
- Two copies of site plan
- Completed Application Form
- Completed Owner Statement
- A completed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing where structural components are required to be under seal of an engineer.
Separate permits are required for electrical and plumbing
Each permit application requires all of the information shown on the application form and the application must be submitted to the Zoning and Permits office. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the application form in advance.