Advice and permit information on foundation repairs
To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.
Depending on the nature of the repair, a building permit may or may not be required.
A building permit is not required when the repairs are limited to excavation and application of damproofing/water-proofing coatings or membranes and/or the replacement of weeping tile systems.
A building permit is required when the repairs involve the placement or replacement of any structural component(s) installed to repair or stabilize a deteriorating foundation including, but not limited to:
- Replacement of wood columns with steel teleposts;
- Structural braces attached to foundation walls to repair deteriorated components such as beam ends;
- Installation of vertical structural bracing to shore up lateral cracks
All structural foundation repairs must be specified by a structural engineer licensed to practice in the Province of Manitoba. An engineering report and a signed and sealed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing must be provided at the time of permit application for review by the Plan Examination Branch prior to issuance of the building permit.
The permit applicant is responsible for arranging a mandatory inspection prior to covering any structural repair or modification.
- Floor plan layout indicating use of rooms, or:
- If major structural alterations are involved, such as the altering or moving of beams or teleposts, these plans must be prepared or reviewed by a Professional Engineer (registered in the Province of Manitoba). A report and a signed and sealed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing must be submitted at the time of permit application.
- Completed Application Form
- Completed Owner Statement
Separate permits are required for electrical and plumbing:
Each permit application requires all of the information shown on the application form and the application must be submitted to the Zoning and Permits office. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the application form in advance.