Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Planning, Property & Development


Advice and permit information on demolitions

Applying for a Demolition Permit

To apply for a permit, please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.

A demolition permit is required to demolish any building or structure, or portion thereof. A demolition permit is not required if the detached structure is less than 10 m2 (108 sq.ft.). When you apply for a demolition permit, the Inspections Branch will do a pre-issuance inspection of the site to determine if the structure can be safely razed without engineering.  Where there is less than 8 feet from the foundation to any other structure on adjacent properties, or where we feel there is a potential hazard, we may require the demolition to be engineered to prevent damage to neighbouring properties.
Several scenarios present where demolition is concerned – some examples:

  • Partial demolition where the foundation is being preserved to be re-used with a new build;
  • Full demolition with no plan to rebuild on the lot in the near future;
  • Full demolition with plans to rebuild immediately after the structure is razed.

The demolition needs to be commenced within 30 days of permit issuance and completed within 30 days of commencement.
It is the permit applicant’s responsibility to:

  • contact Manitoba Hydro to arrange disconnection of electricity and natural gas to the structure and removal of their meters;
    • Permits will not be issued until the utility has notified us that the meters have been removed.
  • contact the Water and Waste Department to shut off the water and remove the water meter;
  • contact the telephone and cable providers to arrange disconnection of their services;
  • arrange to plug the sewer line with a concrete plug if it is being abandoned; and
  • arrange for all mandatory inspections:
    • Pre-backfill - when all demolition debris, including all foundation materials (if applicable) have been removed from the site and before any fill is placed in the excavation or any reconstruction has commenced;
    • Pre-backfill Inground Swimming Pool - when the bottom of the pool has been broken and the side walls have been collapsed inward to allow for the placement of a minimum of 24" of clean fill to cover the remains.
    • Final - when the site is in a safe, level, well graded condition after demolition has been completed.

Safety fencing is required at all times during the demolition process if the demolition presents a safety hazard to the general public and to prevent unauthorized access to the demolition site.  Safety fencing must be compliant with Part 8 of the Manitoba Building Code – strongly constructed, minimum 1.8 m (6 ft.) high and not climbable.

Before any new construction begins, we strongly recommend that you confirm the address of any new construction before you complete your permit application to begin construction. The address can be confirmed with the City at . There may be a required address change.

Demolition/Removal Permit Application Form
Demolition FAQs - Asbestos Containing Material
Owner Statement

Last update: December 1, 2020
Zoning & Permits Customer Information

Location: Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 4X7

Permits Direct Line: 204-986-5140


Tuesday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Please be advised that our offices are closed to customers on Mondays, which are reserved for telephone inquiries, processing completed drop-off applications, and other administrative work.

To schedule a permit application appointment, call 204-986-5140 or email ppd-permitappointments

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.