Notice to building permit applicants - The Zoning & Permits Branch is not currently accepting walk-in customers. Permit applications are being processed. However, permit applications must be submitted digitally. Learn more about Digital Permit Applications options and requirements. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
When is a Deck Permit Required?
A deck is a structure with a total area of more than 3.4 m2 (36 sq. ft.).
A deck requires a Building Permit if any of the following conditions apply:
- It is located in the back or side yard and is more than 600 mm (2'-0") above ground level.
- It is located in the front yard and is more than 254 mm (10 in.) above ground level.
- It will eventually support a structure with a roof, such as a sunroom, family room, etc.
A landing is a platform up to 3.4 m2 (36 sq. ft.) located in front of an exterior door at the top of a flight of exterior stairs.
All landings require a Development Permit to ensure compliance with zoning by-laws, regardless of size.
A landing also requires a Building Permit if:
- It is more than 1.2 m (4'-0") above ground level.
The following applies to decks and landings Building Permit applications.
Zoning and Construction Requirements
- Refer to the Decks brochure to learn more about zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential dwellings.
- 1 copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure.
Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.
- 1 copy of a construction plan and elevation drawings as outlined in the
- 1 completed Decks Permit Application Form and Checklist
- 1 completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
- 1 completed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing if plans are sealed by an Architect or Engineer.
How to apply:
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
- Apply online
- In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Development Permit applications must be submitted in-person.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com/ or call 1-800-940-3447.