Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Planning, Property & Development


When is a Deck Permit Required?

A deck is a structure with a total area of more than 3.4 m2 (36 sq. ft.).

A deck requires a Building Permit if any of the following conditions apply:

  • It is located in the back or side yard and is more than 600 mm (2'-0") above ground level.
  • It is located in the front yard and is more than 254 mm (10 in.) above ground level.
  • It will eventually support a structure with a roof, such as a sunroom, family room, etc.

A landing is a platform up to 3.4 m2 (36 sq. ft.) located in front of an exterior door at the top of a flight of exterior stairs.

All landings require a Development Permit to ensure compliance with zoning by-laws, regardless of size.

A landing also requires a Building Permit if:

  • It is more than 1.2 m (4'-0") above ground level.

Application requirements

The following applies to decks and landings Building Permit applications.

Zoning and Construction Requirements

  • Refer to the Decks brochure to learn more about zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential dwellings.

Required Documentation

  • 1 copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure. 

Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.

Access Permits Online

How to apply:

Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.

  • Apply online
  • In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
  • Development Permit applications must be submitted in-person.

Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit or call 1-800-940-3447.

Last update: December 1, 2020
Zoning & Permits Customer Information

Location: Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 4X7

Permits Direct Line: 204-986-5140


Tuesday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Please be advised that our offices are closed to customers on Mondays, which are reserved for telephone inquiries, processing completed drop-off applications, and other administrative work.

To schedule a permit application appointment, call 204-986-5140 or email ppd-permitappointments

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.