Notice to building permit applicants - All residential and commercial building permit applications can be submitted in digital format. Learn more about digital submission options and requirements.
Residential Building Permits
Planning Your Project
Thinking about starting a renovation or building project? Whatever your plans, we know that as a homeowner, you are spending a lot of time, energy and money to ensure that renovation plans fit your needs and budget. Before you begin your project, it is important to be sure you have planned for and obtained all of the necessary permits and approvals.
A residential building permit is required for the construction, demolition or alteration of a one or two-family dwelling or accessory structure (detached garage, deck or shed).
To apply for a permit, please visit the Permit Office. Our staff will be pleased to assist you with your permit and zoning questions and help you with your application.
We encourage you to submit your application well in advance of your project start date. Exact processing times will be dependent on the complexity of your application and total number of applications received. Applications for projects that are submitted in the busy construction season (April to September) may take longer to process.
Permit Fast Facts
- Whether you do the work yourself, or hire a contractor or builder, homeowners are legally responsible for obtaining construction-related permits for projects.
- A permit helps to ensure your project incorporates safety and other required standards – keeping families, renters and homeowners safe.
- We strongly recommend that you confirm the address of any new construction before you complete your permit application. The address can be confirmed with the City at
PropertyAddressing@winnipeg.ca. There may be a required address change.
- Completing the permit process can facilitate a smooth future sale of your home. Winnipeg realtors and home buyers often research past work completed on properties, to ensure projects were built with proper permits.
- If you need help navigating the permit process, the Permit Office is here to help.
For information on Residential Building Permits click on the diagram below or refer to the links on the right.