Electrical Information Centre
The Zoning & Permits office does not accept walk-in customers and permit applications can be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Le bureau du zonage et des permis ne prend pas la clientèle qui se présente sur les lieux, et les demandes de permis peuvent être soumises de façon numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
The Electrical Information Centre provides one convenient location for all City of Winnipeg permit-related electrical documents and information for both homeowners and professional contractors.
Links to all permit-related electrical brochures.
- Commercial Electrical Brochures
- "Help Us Help You" – a guide to requirements for commercial electrical permit applications
- Electrical Drawing Requirements for New Construction
- Guide to Patient Care Areas
- Woodworking Shops
- High Voltage Installations
- Life Safety Tests
- Fire Alarm Verifications
- Electromagnetic Lock Installations
- Emergency Lighting and Exit Signs
- Flooded Buildings
Quick access to electrical permit application forms and other important documents.
- Commercial Forms and Documents
- Commercial Inspection Request Form
- Commercial Electrical Permit Application Form
- Electrical Sign Permit Application Form
- Electrical Annual Permit Application Form
- Electromagnetic Locks Checklist
- Photoluminescent Exit Signs Checklist
- Patient Care Areas Declaration Form
- Fire Alarm Monitoring Schedule A
- After Hours Inspection Request Form
- Building and Site Design Summary (BSDS) - Electrical Form
- Commercial Alteration Design Summary (CADS)
- Professional Designer's Certificate (RPDC)
- Owner Statement
- Optional Professional Certificate Program (OPCP) - Electrical Form
- Wording for Letters of Certification
- Worksheets for Multi-Residential Building Calculations
- Electrical Request for Code Deviation Form
- Housing Forms
Information on the electrical contractor licensing program.
- Important Information for Licenced Electrical Contractors
- Electrical Contractor Exams
- List of Licenced Electrical Contractors
- Contractor Licence Fees
- Permits Online - Pay Licence Renewal
Quick links to electrical fees and related bylaws.
- Winnipeg Electrical By-law No. 72/2022 – including Technical Interpretations
- Residential Buildings Fire Safety By-law No. 4304/86
- Planning, Development and Building Fees and Charges Schedule - electrical fees excerpts:
Links to external electrical-related websites.
- Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba, Trades Examinations, Certification and Licensing – to obtain a Province of Manitoba Electrician's Licence
- Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba, Bulletins, Guides and Forms – to access the list of Recognized Certification Inspection Bodies for Electrical Equipment
- CSA Group - Online Store – to purchase the Canadian Electrical Code
- Manitoba Hydro Customer Metering Standards
- Manitoba Hydro, Electrical Service Applications
How to apply for a permit:
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
- Apply via Permits Online (licenced contractors only)
- In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact us.