Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Error processing SSI file
Winnipeg Police Service

Traffic - Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Where do I report an accident and during what hours?

You can report your accident in person at any police station or service centre.  The hours of operation depend on what time the station or centres are open. View locations and hours of police stations and service centres.

Can I make my collision report over the phone?

All hit and run reports, regardless of damage amount or any known suspect, must be reported in person at any police station, with the vehicle if driveable.

How do I know if a collision occurred or a person bodily damaged my vehicle?

Check the vehicle for any paint transfer, other vehicle debris left at the scene or go to an auto body shop to have your vehicle inspected.

How many days do I have to report a collision?

You have 14 days if you exchanged particulars with the other person involved.  It is 2 years if the collision was a hit and run.

Can I make my report outside of Winnipeg (eg…Selkirk MB)?

Yes, but it must be done within 7 days and you may want to check with your municipality to see what the rcmp rules are.

Why do I have to report a collision?

Compliance in regards to your driver’s licence and insurance.

What if there's no damage to my car but the other one is damaged?

Reports must be made for all hit and runs or if damages are over $1000.00 or any injuries..

What do I do if my car was hit and I don't know who did it?

Make a hit and run claim. Go to an auto body and obtain an estimate before reporting. The procedures change due to estimated damages.

Can I ride a pocket bike on my street/backlane?

Pocket bikes are illegal in Winnipeg.  The only use is on private property outside of Winnipeg.

What streets are closed due to events?

Smaller events are usually too dynamic to have a list of street closures, so information will generally be unavailable for them. Larger events sometimes post street closure information on the events website, or it can be obtained by contacting the event coordinators. For further information on street closure permits, please contact the City of Winnipeg Public Works department at 311.

Does my child require a car seat/restraints and what kind?

Under the Regulations, the following require a child restraint device:

- passenger is less than nine years of age
- passenger weighs less than 36kg (79.4lbs)
- passenger stands less than 145cm tall (4ft 9in)

A seatbelt is always required as it is for all vehicle passangers.

My vehicle has been impounded. Where do I go to pick it up?

All impounded vehicles are stored in the Tartan Towing compound at 14 Dawson Rd, Winnipeg.

My vehicle has been impounded. How much will it cost to get my vehicle out of the compound?

You should always ensure your vehicle is releasable prior to attending or having it picked up. Towing costs, storage fees and impoundment fees must all be paid prior to a vehicle being released from the compound. For up to date fee information you may check with Tartan Towing at 204-925-4530.

My vehicle has been impounded. How do I know if my vehicle is releasable?

When the vehicle was impounded the operator would have been given an Impoundment Form which details the vehicle release information. Tartan Towing will have a copy of this form on file. This section pertains only to vehicles which have been impounded within the City of Winnipeg.

I loaned my vehicle to someone else and it has been impounded. How do I get it back?

If you have loaned your vehicle to someone and your vehicle has been impounded you can arrange to have an Appeal Hearing at 408 York Avenue.  There is a fee for the Hearing.  There are no Hearings on the weekends.  Further information can be obtained by phoning the Vehicle Impoundment Registry at 204-945-4454 Monday - Friday.

How do I make a report of a truck operating off a truck route?

You can report a truck operating on a street not designated as a truck route, by contacting the Community Support Unit at your local Police District Station. Community Support Unit members deal with specific traffic complaints such as this. Determine your local police district. View our phone listing to find your local Community Support Unit number.

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"

Last update: September 10, 2019

 * Top of Page