About the Service River Patrol Unit
Required Boating Equipment
Powered - not over 6 metres
- one Government of Canada (Department of Transport) approved personal flotation device (PFD) or a lifejacket for small vessels of appropriate size for each person on board
- one buoyant heaving line of not less than 15m in length
- one manual propelling device (paddle or oars) OR an anchor with not less than 15m of cable, rope or chain in any combination
- one Class 5BC fire extinguisher (if the craft is equipped with an inboard engine, a fixed fuel tank of any size, or a fuel burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance).
- one bailer or one manual water pump fitted with sufficient hose to enable one person using the pump to pump water from the bilge of the vessel over the side of the vessel. (A bailer or manual water pump is not required for any multi-hull vessel that has subdivided multiple-sealed hull construction.)
- a watertight flashlight or 3 Canadian approved flares of type A,B or C
- a sound signaling device or a sound signaling appliance audible at distances of half a marine mile (0.93 km)
- navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations if the pleasure craft is operated after sunset and before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility.
* Top of Page