If you wish to report a child abuse matter such as any that follow, please call 204-986-6222. Child Abuse investigators may become involved many incident types.
- Child deaths or life threatening injuries to persons under the age of 18.
- Physical or sexual child abuse committed by members of the family unit, or people in a position of trust or authority.
- Suicides of a children or youth, particularly children in care.
- Third party sexual assaults on children under the age of 14 years, so that is age 13 and under.
- Threats against a child 17 years of age and under, committed by an adult member of the family unit or other person in a position of trust or authority over that child.
- Physical and Sexual assaults on persons deemed "vulnerable persons" due to their diminished mental capacity or limited ability to communicate.
- Historical physical and/or sexual assaults where the victim was 13 years of age or under.
- Members of the Child Abuse Unit work closely with Child & Family Services and are mandated to notify them of all reported child abuse cases under the provincial Child and Family Services Act.
- Interviews of child victims are generally videotaped. At times, those videotapes may also be used to form part of the child's testimony, thereby reducing the stress of court.
- In 2013 the Winnipeg Police Service partnered with others in Child Protection to open Snowflake Place for Children and Youth which is a Child Advocacy Centre where investigators endeavor to complete all child interviews. The goal is to provide a child friendly environment for victims and their families to feel safe and supported. Interviews with Child and Family Services as well as preparations for court can also take place there. Snowflake Place for Children and Youth does not take direct referrals, rather families are referred there directly by police.
- Province of Manitoba - Manitoba Justice Sex Offender Notification Site
- Health Science Centre - Sexual Assault Program
- KLINIC Sexual Assault Crisis Line (24 hours - 204-786-8631)
- Provincial Advisory Committee on Child Abuse (PACCA)
- Manitoba Family Services / Child and Family Services