About the Service - Counter Exploitation Unit
Human Trafficking | Street Prostitution | Escort Services & Massage Parlours | Illegal Gaming & Liquor Offence
While there are many laws surrounding selling sex for money, the Counter Exploitation Unit is committed to enforcement on those who seek out and purchase sex. Previously known as “Johns”, the Counter Exploitation Unit refers to those who are consumers of the sex trade as Exploiters.
Street prostitution is extremely high risk in a variety of ways, such as physical health/wellness, emotional trauma, and a high propensity of being assaulted and or abused. The reasons why women work on the street consist of a wide range, and our focus is on restoring, creating and maintaining relationships with persons and organizations.
We work hand in hand daily with members of Winnipeg’s community, and partnerships have been formed to provide assistance where it is needed. These partnerships include sex trade workers themselves, community groups, addictions assistance organizations, government agencies, social agencies and legal representatives. With this approach we can focus on building safer, long term strategies while balancing the needs of everyone involved.
Exploiters using the services of sex trade workers are liable to varying consequences such as:
- Seizure of the vehicle used in the commission of the offence under the Highway Traffic Act Section 242.2(3)
- Vehicle ultimately forfeited to the crown upon conviction in court
- Driver’s Licence suspended for one year upon conviction, and upon a second conviction for 2 years.
- Penalties of a fine and/or imprisonment upon conviction
- Diversion to Prostitution Offender Program, at the expense of the exploiter
Resources on Street Prostitution
If you or anyone you know has information about Street Prostitution, or have someone you would like to refer to us you can email or call members of the Counter Exploitation Unit at:
* Top of Page