Winnipeg Business Security Checklist
We are all doing our best to flatten the curve during this pandemic and many Winnipeg businesses are temporarily closed.
We've had a number of inquiries from local business owners asking for advice on some of the steps they can take to discourage thieves from targeting their businesses for a potential robbery.
Most property crimes are crimes of opportunity. Businesses can reduce the possibility of becoming a target of these crimes by taking action and following these simple steps:
- Activate your alarm and video monitoring systems
- Do not leave any valuables visible or accessible
- Deactivate all scheduled door openings
- Empty or remove all ATM’s
- Move all safes and tills off site. If not possible, empty these items and keep cash draws open
- Remove all alcohol from the property
- Keep lights on inside and outside your business
- Post “No CASH or VALUABLES on Site” signage
The Winnipeg Police Service recommends that business owners make regular visits to monitor their property. Consider using different times to visit in order to not establish a pattern. We also suggest working with neighboring owners to keep an eye on each other’s property.
We all have a role to play in crime prevention, if you see something-say something.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all community presentations and event will be postponed until further notice.
We will continue to monitor the situation.
* Top of Page