Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Safety & Crime Prevention > Block Parent Program

A Block Parent is any responsible adult who cares enough about the well-being of children and other persons to volunteer his or her home as a safe refuge in the event of an emergency.

A sign in the window lets children in distress know that a Block Parent is available to provide a haven.

The presence of a sign can act as a deterrent to potential offenders who can quickly conclude that the neighbourhood has its own safety support system.


  1. To provide the community with an organized method of protecting its children and adults.
  2. To aid in the prompt reporting of emergency problems to the Police Service.


Any responsible citizen, aged 18 years and over who:

  • Cares about the well being of everyone, especially children
  • Is screened by the Police Service
  • Is willing to provide help when available


A block parent is expected to:

  • Offer help from dangerous or frightening situations.
  • Offer assistance to persons in distress by telephoning the police or home of the child.
  • Assist the police by reporting suspicious or criminal activity in the neighbourhood.
  • Remove their BLOCK PARENT sign when not available. (The sign is an indication  to children and adults that someone is available and they will receive immediate help in the event of an emergency.)

All new Block Parents receive instructions on proper procedures.


  • Provide food or beverage
  • Provide toilet facilities
  • Provide transportation
  • Administer first aid
  • Leave their home to break up fights
  • Actively engage any dangerous person


  • When alarmed by strangers or vicious animals
  • When they or a playmate are involved in an accident.
  • When ill
  • When lost
  • When being bullied


I WORK ALL DAY - Even only a few hours each week is valuable

I AM NOT A PARENT - No one should stop caring about the safety of children and other adults.  Retired people and single people may certainly be Block Parents.

I'LL ALWAYS HELP, SIGN OR NOT - Let the little ones know it! Most children are taught to be wary of strangers, but the Police have checked out a Block Parent.

I DON'T WANT TO OPEN MY DOOR TO STRANGERS - Naturally, if a hurt or frightened child seeks the assistance of a Block Parent, sanctuary would be offered. However, it is not necessary to allow strangers into your home. All that is required is for the parents or proper authorities to be contacted.

THERE ARE ENOUGH BLOCK PARENTS ON OUR BLOCK ALREADY - The more Block Parent homes there are the better protection for everyone. Large numbers are required as some Block Parents may only be available during a small part of each day or week.


  • Contact the Winnipeg Police Service Community Relations Unit at 204-986-6322, or email us at
  • Get involved in your community and contribute to making it a safer place for everyone. Become a Block Parent today! Visit the Winnipeg Block Parents Web Site at

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: August 18, 2021

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.