History & Museum Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories
Fort Garry Police 1913-1974
The Rural Municipality of Fort Garry was incorporated in 1912 and had a one-man department until 1947 when both the area and Police force began to grow. The Fort Garry Police Department had 37 members when it amalgamated with the Winnipeg Police on October 21, 1974.
The North West Mounted Police and the City of Winnipeg Police Force were responsible for the maintenance of law and order in the area known as Fort Garry until 1912. In that year Fort Garry became a Municipality, and in 1913 appointed it's first Police Officer, Constable J. S. REESE, who remained in office until 1918.
Chief REESE was succeeded by the following Chief Constables:
|R. J. SCHEPERS||1934-1938|
In 1945, then Chief BRIDGWATER was granted permission to increase the force by one member for a total of 2 including himself. There was no radio communication, and a 1928 Ford Roadster with a rumble seat served as a cruiser car. The fire truck was a 1928 GMC ½ ton with a 45 gallon water tank and approximately 100 feet of 1 inch hose on a reel. The Police Chief also served as Fire Department chief, official dog-catcher, weed inspector and licence inspector.
In 1948 a new cruiser car was purchased with radio communication being linked to the R.C.M.P. network. By now the force had increased to a staff of 5, but grew further again in 1953 for a total of 8 men. Fort Garry established their own local radio network as well. In 1949 an independent Fire Department was established and a new 1,000 gallon tanker and pump was purchased. Chief BRIDGWATER continued to serve as Fire Chief however, until 1966 when Deputy Chief O. DAVIDSON was placed in command of the Fire Department.
In 1974, prior to unification of all Greater Winnipeg Police Forces, a total of 37 men staffed the Fort Garry Police Department. The force served a population of 29,000 while patrolling an area of 27 square miles. Equipment included two radio equipped cruiser cars, two detective cars, an underwater rescue truck, boat and trailer. The force's special squad of 8 scuba divers had been made available to all Police Departments for searching rivers and lakes for stolen property and the recovery of the bodies of drowning victims.
Following unification, Fort Garry became part of District No. 6 of the City of Winnipeg Police Department.
Pre-Amalgamation Staff List
|Chief of Police:||BRIDGWATER, Arthur|
HOUSKA, George J.
BANMAN, Gordon D.
The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Staff Sergeant Rod Hutter.
* Top of Page