On September 25, 2023, at approximately 11:40 p.m., General Patrol officers responded to the Spence neighbourhood area for the report of an abduction/sexual incident.
A teenage female reported walking in the 3000 block of Portage Avenue during the evening of September 24 when she was abducted at knifepoint. The male suspect drove her to an undisclosed location where she was sexually assaulted repeatedly over several hours. The survivor eventually fled and used a passerby’s cellular phone to call police.
Members of the Sex Crimes Unit assumed the investigation, and as a result, a male suspect was identified.
Cory Lee WHALEN, 40, of Winnipeg, has been charged with the following:
- Sexual Assault with a Weapon x 3
- Sexual Assault
- Assault with a Weapon
- Possession of a Weapon
- Administer Noxious Thing with Intent to Endanger Life or Cause Harm
- Forcible Confinement
- Assault by Choking, Suffocating or Strangling
- Mischief Under $5000/Obstruct in Enjoyment
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order
WHALEN was detained in custody.