Saturday, May 27 marks the first annual Neighbour Day! The City and Mayor Bowman are encouraging all Winnipeggers to get together with your neighbours on this day. You could organize a block party, a community clean up, or even just a picnic in the park. Check out the links for more information on City services available to help you plan.
Host a block party
A block party is a great way to get your neighbours to come together. Block parties are closures of residential streets by the local residents and do not include closures by a business or for business purposes like sales, promotions, company events, festivals or extending business premises to the right of ways. Sidewalks must always be kept open and pedestrians allowed to pass.
- Completed applications must be submitted at least 7 days prior to the block party.
- Streets must be closed between intersections. Closing a street for half a block or along one side of the street only is not permitted. If a block party is too big or you don’t have enough time to pull it together for this year, consider inviting a couple of neighbours over for a BBQ!
Organize a community clean up
Get a group of neighbours together to clean up around recreation facilities, public green spaces or sports fields.
- Are you part of a volunteer or community group? You can apply to have the tipping fees waived at the Brady Road Resource Management Facility.
- If you don’t have access to Brady Road, consider planting flowers around your community centre or at an elderly neighbour's house.
- Groups can register for the annual Team Up to Clean Up campaign.
- Registered groups can receive free garbage bags and be eligible for prize draws.
Have a picnic in the park
Park space or shelters are for the public to use, if you would like exclusive use of a park space or shelter you may book the shelters and sites. If the park site you are looking for is not booked then, please enjoy the space at no cost - first come first serve basis.
To reserve a City of Winnipeg parks site or field call our Park Booking Office directly at (204) 986-7469. Or for information on reserving a City of Winnipeg park site or field call 311 or Out of Town Toll Free 1-877-311-4WPG (4974).