Trip & Fall Hazards
Falls are one of the most preventable causes of hospital admission. Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to approximately 9,000 fall incidents every year, this number continues to grow. Many of these are absolutely preventable. You will find some great tips listed below that will help prevent slip and fall incidents.
- Remove clutter, small furniture, pet gear, electrical cords, throw rugs and anything else that might cause someone to trip
- Arrange or remove furniture so there is plenty of room for walking
- Secure carpets to the floor
- Wipe up spills immediately
- Make sure outdoor areas are well lit and walkways are smooth and free from ice and snow
- Use non-slip adhesive strips on stairs
- Use non-skid mats or appliques in the bath and shower
- Install grab bars in the tub, shower and near the toilet
- Install railings on both sides of stairs
- Provide adequate lighting in every room and stairway
- Place nightlights in kitchen, bath and hallways
- If necessary, provide personal walking devices, such as a cane or walker, to aid in stability
- If you have pre-existing medical conditions that increase your likelihood of falling, ensure you follow up with your family doctor to receive appropriate care.
Last update: March 3, 2019