Accessibility Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

How Can I Keep my Pets Safe

Emergency Preparedness for Pets

There are a variety of potential emergencies that may cause difficulties for the citizens of Winnipeg and surrounding area. Awareness of these events is a starting point to becoming prepared.

Make sure to include your pets when you develop your family’s emergency plan. Things to keep in mind during an emergency are:

  • Don't leave your pet(s) behind, even if you think you will only be away from your house for a few hours. The best way to protect your pet in an emergency is to bring it with you. If you have exotic animals, fish, or birds remember your home may lose power in the event of an emergency.
  • Post stickers on your home. If you own pets, it is wise to place stickers on the main entrances to your home to alert emergency responders to the number and location of pets in your house. If you have evacuated with your pets due to emergency, write “evacuated” on your door sticker.
  • Emergency Kit: Include pet supplies in your family’s emergency kit, such as:
    • Vet and vaccination records
    • Pet food for at least 72 hours
    • Your pet’s medications
    • An extra collar and leash
    • Blankets
    • Toys and treats
    • Kennels or carriers
    • Disinfectants and plastic bags for waste disposal
    • Water and water bowls
    • Cat litter
    • A recent photo
    • Contact information for your vet.
    Be sure to check the contents of your kit twice a year and replace food and water every two to three months.
  • Emergency accommodations: make plans in advance as to where your pet can go in an emergency. Establish an out-of-area contact who can care for your pet during an emergency.
  • Ensure your pet is licensed. If you and your pet get separated during an emergency, a licence will help reunite you. For information on pet licensing and to purchase a licence, please visit City of Winnipeg – Animal Services.
  • Make plans in advance with a neighbor or family member to evacuate your pet should you not be home during an emergency.
  • Do not let your pet off-leash during an emergency as they may be scared and may behave unpredictably.
  • If you must leave your pet at home during an emergency, be sure to leave behind plenty of food and water for your pet, post a sign notifying first responders that there are pets in your house and how many, and post your evacuation location and contact information on the entrances to your house so that you and your pet can be reunited.

For information on how to develop an emergency plan for you and your family, please visit City of Winnipeg – Be Prepared for an Emergency.

For more information on Winnipeg Animal Services, please see City of Winnipeg – Animal Services.

Last update: March 20, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.