Sign in forms allow users to input authentication details (typically a username or email and password) in order to gain access to password protected content and functionality.
- Wherever possible, users should be permitted to use an email address or phone number as their username.
- Auto focus on the first input field in the form. This saves time and effort and moves the user directly to the first field.
- Give users the option to see their password as they enter it. This helps reduce input error and can be enabled by a checkbox, toggle, or icon.
- Always include links to recovery options like ‘Forgot password’ and ‘Forgot username’ (where applicable).
- Warn users if caps lock is on.
To auto focus an input on load use the