Forgot your password
- Always include a secondary escape hatch alongside the ‘Forgot password’ email input field. This could include contact information or other next steps should the user be unable to use the form.
- Provide clear and assistive feedback immediately if an email address isn’t recognized and what to do if a recovery email isn’t received within a predetermined time period.
- Provide copy at each step that tells the user what to expect next. E.g ‘Enter the email address associated with this account and we’ll send you a link to reset your password.’
- Ensure the password reset fields are accompanied by password requirements and the option for users to see their password as they enter it. If possible, use a dynamic password checker and feedback tool to provide immediate feedback as password requirements are met.
Password reset process
Remembering and entering a correct password can be a challenge for users of all abilities. Password reset processes typically consist of the following steps:
- Selecting a clear ‘Forgot password’ link in close proximity to the login form.
- Entering an email address in a text input field.
- Receiving an email with a link leading to a password reset form.
- Entering a new password in the password reset form.
- Authenticating using the new password.
Forgot your password?
Enter your email below and instructions to reset your password will be emailed to you.