Volunteering with Animal Services
Next volunteer orientation—December 18, 2019 from 5:30–7 p.m. at Animal Services: 1057 Logan Ave.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Animal Services!
Volunteers primarily work with dogs that are up for adoption. These dogs receive valuable socialization during their stay at Animal Services by generous volunteers.
If youth are under 16 years (14 or 15 year-olds) they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also a volunteer.
Did you know we have corporate volunteer opportunities? Corporate volunteering is a great way to team build, while improving the health and wellness of your employees. Our doggies also love extra attention! Corporate volunteering is streamlined and easy. If interested in corporate volunteerism, simply contact us!
Available duties and responsibilities
- Helping get dogs familiar with walking on a leash.
- Teaching dogs/puppies how to be handled.
- Spending time with dogs so they are exposed to different people helping them get more comfortable around strangers.
- Taking dogs out for walks.
- Taking dogs into the outside enclosures for exercise.
- Assist Kennel staff with bathing dogs.
- Brushing dogs.
- Provide food and water to dogs
- Assist at events
- Digital photography of adoptable dogs and uploading to website
- Washing dishes
- Sweeping and mopping
Skills and Qualifications
- Must be a minimum of 14 years of age to volunteer with an adult.
- Volunteers aged 16 and over may volunteer alone.
- Physically fit and be able to independently work with dogs of all sizes and energy levels.
How to Apply for a Volunteer Position
1. Fill out the Volunteer Application Forms
Interested applicants are asked to fill out the following documents:
- Volunteer Application
- Parental Consent Form (Note: Volunteer applicants aged 14-17 years must have their parent/guardian complete this form)
2. Submit Your Completed Application Forms
Mail or Drop-off:
City of Winnipeg
Animal Services Agency
1057 Logan Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3N8
Fax your completed form to 204-986-6878.
After You Apply for a Volunteer Position
Volunteer applicants will be interviewed and assessed. Please note that the volunteer screening process and Criminal Record Check may take up to 6 weeks to complete.
1. Screening Interview
Applicants will be called for a screening interview upon receipt of a completed volunteer application.
2. Criminal Record Check
Following a successful screening interview, a Criminal Record Check (with a Vulnerable Sector Screening request) satisfactory to the City of Winnipeg will be required at the cost of the applicant. View details on the Criminal Record Check process.
All applicants must provide the Animal Services Agency with a copy of their Criminal Record Check Certificate. Applicants must bring the original copy of the Criminal Record Check Certificate to the Animal Services Agency; a copy of the Criminal Record Check Certificate will be made and the original returned to the applicant. Criminal Record Checks cannot be more than three months old.
3. Volunteer Placement
Once the screening interview and Criminal Record Check are complete, the applicant will begin full training to become a volunteer at Animal Services.
For More Information
Email us or call 311.