Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

Excess Animal Permit

A person having more than six dogs and cats over the age of six months, or more than four dogs over the age of six months, without holding a valid Excess Animal Permit may face charges under the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law. The person would be required to appear before a magistrate in Provincial Court.

What is an Excess Animal Permit?

An approved Excess Animal Permit (EAP) allows a resident to legally own or harbour more than the legal limit of pets.

  1. Application
    • Pick up and pay for an application package at Animal Services. Please note, the application fee is non-refundable.
    • Application package includes:
      • Application form
      • Support Form
        • Support should include signatures of neighbours within your immediate area.
        • It is especially helpful if your immediate neighbours (north, south, east and west) have indicated support for your application.
  2. Complete Application
    • Once your application package is fully complete, contact the EAP Coordinator at Animal Services
      • You will meet with the Coordinator to review the completed application.
      • If application is fully complete, the Coordinator will schedule an inspection of your home.
    • An Animal Services Officer will inspect your home:
      • During an inspection, an Officer checks for:
        • Health of animals- animals appear healthy and are being treated for any health issues
        • Cleanliness of home- animals living in a clean home with little odors that could affect the pets or homeowners
        • Minimal prior complaints regarding an applicant’s pets having an effect on their neighbors
        • Full pet licensing compliance
    • Animal Services will review your application and the results of the inspection and make a recommendation to your Community Committee. This recommendation will include:
      • Approval or non-approval of an EAP application
      • Amount of animals to be allowed
      • Length of time for permit.
        • An approved EAP holder is inspected annually
        • Re-application can occur after expiry of an EAP
  3. You will be required to appear before your area's Community Committee. You will be notified by letter once your appearance has been scheduled and advised of:
    • The Community Committee meeting date, time and location.
    • The date that required property posters will be available for pick-up at Animal Services.
    • These posters indicate to your neighbours that you are requesting an EAP.
    • The date that the required property posters must be erected and maintained on the subject property.

As the applicant you will be responsible for the following:

  1. Posters must be erected and maintained on the property in the following manner:
    • ON the subject property
    • No more than one (1) metre in from the property line
    • Facing out towards street or lane frontages in a manner that can be easily read by passersby on the sidewalk, street or lane.
    • Posters must be in conspicuous locations facing each street or alley adjacent to the land or building referred to in the notice (on the poster).
    • Posters may be attached to any surface such as walls, trees, and fences or within windows, providing the above regulations are followed.
    • Posters MUST NOT be attached to public utility poles; any such placement will constitute a violation of the posting requirements.
    • Posters must remain up for the required fourteen (14) days prior to the public hearing, not including the posting date or the hearing date.
    • Arrange to obtain replacement posters by calling Animal Services at 311 immediately if the posters have been damaged or removed due to vandalism or adverse weather conditions.
  2. Failure to adhere to the above outlined posting requirements may result in a delay in the consideration of your application.
  3. Your property will be inspected during the posting period to ensure posting procedures have been followed and you will be notified of any non-compliance. This does not, however, preclude your own surveillance of the property or your responsibility to contact Animal Services should you notice any irregularities.
  4. Attend or authorize some other person to represent you at the Community Committee public hearing. You will be advised of the date, time and location.
  5. If you fail to appear or be represented, the application will be considered in your absence.
  6. You must remove all notices from the subject property immediately after the date of the public hearing.
  7. The decision of Community Committee cannot be appealed.
  8. EAP holders are inspected annually to verify compliance and humane conditions. There is an annual inspection fee.
  9. Residents who have an approved EAP must still comply with the other aspects of the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw including minimizing barking etc.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Can I breed dogs or cats from my home?
  • While breeding is legal, Animal Services highly recommends you spay/neuter your pets to help control the pet overpopulation problem. There is an abundance of dogs and cats available for adoption at shelters and rescues.

    All unsterilized dogs and cats over the age of 6 months require an pet license.

    View the Animal Care Act for more information regarding Provincial pet care requirements.

Can I open a kennel from my home?
  • If you plan to operate a kennel, you will require permits from the City of Winnipeg, Planning, Property and Development Department - Zoning Division, as well as the necessary provincial permits. Contact the Province of Manitoba at 204-945-7662 for more information.

How do I register a complaint regarding someone having too many animals?
Is a litter of kittens considered over the limit?
My neighbours have a lot of birds in their house. Is this allowed?
Last update: February 1, 2019