Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency


The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law contains the regulations pertaining to cats.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Why can't I let my cat run loose?
  • The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law states that cat owners must keep their cats on a leash at all times except when on the owner's property or on the property of another person who has consented to the presence of an unleashed cat. The leash must be held by a person able to control the cat. A cat found running loose is considered as 'running at large'.
What does 'running at large' mean?
  • Running at large means that the cat is not:

    • on its owner's property;
    • on other property with the consent of the owner or occupant;
    • securely confined in a vehicle or other enclosure; or
    • securely leashed and in the custody of someone able to control it.
  • Letting your pet run loose puts them and the community in danger and contributes to the already explosive pet population in Winnipeg.
Is there a fine if my cat is found running at large?
What am I supposed to do about cats on my property if the Animal Services Agency won't come catch them?
Can I bring a stray cat to the Animal Services Agency building on Logan Avenue?
  • No - the Animal Services Agency does not have facilities for kennelling stray cats. Contact the Winnipeg Humane Society at 204-982-2025. The Humane Society recommends that you call ahead to make an appointment to drop off a stray cat.
Can you stop my neighbour from feeding the stray cats?
  • No - there is no by-law against the feeding of stray cats. If the stray cats are in your yard, you can rent a cat trap from the Animal Services Agency. See details for trap rental.
My neighbour is providing shelter for feral or stray cats in their yard. Are they allowed to do this?
  • They will be considered the owner of these animals and would be required to meet all the owner responsibilities as outlined in the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law .
What if I don't want to sterilize my cat?
  • If you do not wish to have your cat spayed or neutered, you must ensure that you have a valid unsterilized (intact) cat license for your cat. See Cat Licensing details.
My cat is an indoor cat. Why do I have to sterilize it?
  • The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law states that all cats over the age of six months must be sterilized, unless a valid license for an unsterilized cat has been issued for the cat.
I can't afford to get my cat fixed. What should I do?
  • Low income families living in Winnipeg can apply for the Winnipeg Humane Society's SNAP program to get their cat spayed or neutered. Call 204-888-SNAP (7627) to see if you qualify. You will be required to provide proof of household income (most current income tax information for all occupants) or proof of social assistance in order to participate in SNAP.
My cat is stuck in a tree. Can Animal Services come and get it down for me?
  • No, the Animal Services is not able to respond to calls to get cats out of trees.
Last update: February 1, 2019