Prevent a Litter (PAL) Program
The goal of the Prevent a Litter (PAL) Program is to expand access to spay/neuter and vaccinations for dogs owned by Winnipeggers living on low income. This program is available for a limited time, and is made possible by a generous donation from a Winnipeg resident and the support of select local veterinary clinics.
Benefits of spaying/neutering
- Helps prevent unplanned litters
- Provides health benefits
- Reduces roaming and other behaviour problems
- Improves community safety
- Provides a significant discount when licensing
- Licensed dogs : Free
- Unlicensed dogs : Purchase of license required ($40.25)
You must be a City of Winnipeg resident and one of the following must apply:
- You have a social assistance case number
- You are a new permanent resident or refugee who has been in Canada for less than 18 months and have not filed a tax return.
- You have an economic family income below the low income cut-off (LICO) (amounts listed below)
|Economic Family Size||Total Income|
|More than 7||for each additional person,
Note: Other considerations may be made for special circumstances.
(Sources: Statistics Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)
"Economic family” refers to a group of two or more persons who live in the same dwelling and are related to each other by blood, marriage, common-law union, adoption or a foster relationship.
How to Apply:
Fill out the application form
After you fill out the application form, please save it to your computer. The completed form can either be submitted by email or printed and submitted by mail or in person, as per the instructions below.
You can also pick up an application form at the Animal Services Agency, 1057 Logan Avenue.
If you cannot provide the required documentation for verification of economic need but do meet the criteria, and you have a relationship with a third-party organization that can verify your economic need, please use the Third-Party Referral application form.
Provide verification of economic need
Along with your application form, you will need to include a copy of one of the following:
- Copy of social assistance budget letter
- Copy of documentation showing your landing date in Canada and UCI number
- Copy of most recent Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment identifying annual net income of all economic family members
- Copy of monthly statement of income from CPP Disability (including the income verification of all economic family members)
Submit your completed application form and verification of economic need
- Email: email@example.com
- In Person: Animal Services Agency, 1057 Logan Avenue
Animal Services Agency
1057 Logan Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3N8
Please note: the City of Winnipeg cannot guarantee the security of your personal information if you choose to submit by email.
What happens next?
The program coordinator will contact you regarding the outcome of your application. Please make sure you have provided a daytime phone number; we will call you if we have any questions.
What about cats?
Low-income spay/neuter programming for cats is available at the Winnipeg Humane Society and is partially funded by the City of Winnipeg:
- SNAP Program: 204-888-SNAP
- We are Here for the Animals Program: 204-421-7297
For more information on the PAL Program, please contact 311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.