The sale of spray paints and other materials commonly used to do graffiti is restricted by the Graffiti Control By-law
Frequently Asked Questions
- Post the required sign notifying the public about the Graffiti Control By-Law near where spray paint is sold.
- Restrict sale of spray paint to persons 18 years of age and older.
- Store spray paint and related materials in a secure storage space that is locked or otherwise inaccessible to the public.
- Yes, retailers must ensure they are not selling spray paint to minors.
- Requirements will vary from store to store. The City has provided picture examples showing a number of suitable secure storage spaces. Retailers may develop alternate storage spaces that are locked or otherwise effectively restrict public access to these areas.
- If an individual can access spray paint without assistance from a retailer or clerk, the storage space would not be considered secure.
- To register a complaint, contact the Graffiti Control Hotline at 311