Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Until Election Day
on October 24

Community Services


Food Handling Establishment Licence

A food service establishment is any place where food is kept, handled, manufactured, packaged, stored, prepared, served or sold, regardless of whether consumption is on or off the premises, regardless of whether there is or is not a charge for the food and do not include Outdoor Mobile Vending Units

Food service establishments include:

  • Retail food stores and shops selling only pre-packaged foods
  • Bakeries
  • Butcher shops and fish shops
  • Delicatessens
  • Other retail food stores
  • Canteens and commissaries (whether stationary or mobile)
  • Restaurants, banquet halls, cafeterias, beverage rooms, dairy bars, milk bars, ice cream parlours and caterers
  • Residential care facilities, nursing homes, detention centres, day care kitchens, schools, soup kitchens and shelters
  • Outdoor mobile food units
  • Food processing plants, food packaging and warehouse facilities
  • Any place where food service takes place on a temporary basis
  • Producer markets where any food is being sold, other than agricultural produce grown in Manitoba sold by the individual who produced it, a member of the producer’s immediate family or the producer’s employee

Food handling establishments do not include:

  • Residential dwelling units (unless food is prepared or served for sale)
  • Food vending machines
  • Retail stores selling only pre-packaged food that is not potentially hazardous and does not require refrigeration
  • Food supply vehicles

As of April 1, 2015, no City of Winnipeg Licence is required.

For More Information, please contact:

For information about Zoning approval and Occupancy Permits, please contact:

For information about obtaining a Health Permit, please contact:

Last update: April 9, 2015->