Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
EmergWeb
Media Releases

October 3, 2019

 

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to house fire on Jessie Avenue

Released: 9:55 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 8:25 p.m. on October 2, 2019, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to reports of a fire in a two-and-a-half storey home in the 600 block of Jessie Avenue. Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered heavy smoke coming from the home.

Crews launched an interior offensive attack and the fire was declared under control at 8:52 p.m. The home sustained damage to the basement.

Two occupants safely self-evacuated prior to crew arrival. No injuries were reported. No damage estimates are available at this time.

Fire investigators determined the cause of the fire was accidental, originating with the clothes dryer. This incident serves as a good reminder to residents to never run their dryer while away from their home. Damage from this fire was minimized because residents were home and able to call 911 before the fire extended throughout the house.

Residents can reduce the risk of these types of fires by following these important tips:

  1. Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order.
  2. Do not use the dryer without a lint filter and always clean the filter after each load of laundry.
  3. Periodically check the venting system to ensure there is no lint buildup and it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.
  4. Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running.
  5. Never leave a dryer running when leaving your home.

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to house fire on Lake Crest Road

Released: 3:00 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 1:11 p.m. on October 3, 2019, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey apartment complex in the 0-100 block of Lake Crest Road. Upon arrival on scene, crews launched an offensive attack, quickly bringing the fire under control. While the suite of origin suffered some fire damage and significant smoke damage, the damage did not extend to any other suites in the complex.

Occupants of the suite where the fire originated self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental due to unattended cooking. Residents are reminded of the following safety strategies:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time.
  • Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop.
  • Oil should be always be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the pot with a metal lid. Never use water to put out an oil fire.
October 3, 2019