Mayor Katz shakes up City Hall leadership
Fresh perspectives will help focus on budget plans and safety initiatives
WINNIPEG - October 31, 2005 - Committed to creating a City of Opportunity by tackling important financial matters and public security challenges, Mayor Sam Katz today shuffled his leadership team at City Hall, adding two new councillors to the Executive Policy Committee (EPC) and naming a new chair to the Standing Policy Committee on Alternative Service Delivery (ASD).
"Winnipeg is facing some major challenges, and I need to have the right team in place to turn those into opportunities. We have to control our spending, find money for our roads and our police force," said Katz. "We need to bring some new blood to the table, some new ideas, and that means changes on the Executive Policy Committee."
The EPC will be composed of the following members:
- Councillor Mike Pagtakhan (Point Douglas) — Deputy Mayor, Secretary for Aboriginal Opportunities and Youth Ambassador.
- Councillor Mike O'Shaughnessy (Old Kildonan) — Chair of Fiscal Issues.
- Councillor Franco Magnifico (St. Boniface) — Chair of Downtown Development and Chair of the Kansas City Economic Partnership Committee.
- Councillor Gord Steeves (St. Vital) — Chair of Protection and Community Services.
- Councillor Bill Clement (Charleswood — Tuxedo) — Chair of Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works.
- Councillor Peter De Smedt (St. Charles) — Chair of Planning and Development.
In addition to these appointments, Katz named Councillor Justin Swandel (St. Norbert) as Chair of the ASD committee. Councillor Mark Lubosch will retain his responsibilities as Secretary of Urban Environmental Strategies.
Katz acknowledged the service of those councillors moving on to other roles at City Hall.
"I want to thank Councillors Thomas and Eadie for their service on EPC," said Katz. "They have been extremely supportive during my first year in office."
The membership of all Standing Policy Committees will be finalized during the November 2nd organizational meeting of City Council.
Last update: 30.09.2008
* Top of Page