Weekend closure of Kenaston Boulevard paves way for underpass construction
WINNIPEG - September 29, 2005 - The following closures and traffic re-routes will be in effect this weekend, to allow final construction of road and railway detours associated with the Kenaston Underpass Project.
Once in place, the detours will route vehicle and rail traffic away from the site where the underpass bridge (and other project works) will be constructed this winter. The detours will remain in place until the project is complete in fall 2006.
Bill Larkin, Director of Public Works, says " We're very pleased with progress on this important project. I have to credit the project contractors and utilities for their hard work in making up time lost as a result of this summer's very wet weather."
- From 5:30 pm Friday, September 30 to 6:00 am Monday, October 3, 2005, Kenaston Boulevard will be closed to all through traffic, from Grant Avenue to the newly constructed Sterling Lyon Parkway. Local access to Taylor Avenue west of Kenaston will be maintained south of Grant and access to local businesses on Kenaston within the closed portion will be provided.
- Northbound through traffic on Kenaston will be diverted east on Sterling Lyon, north on Waverly and west on Grant.
- Southbound through traffic on Kenaston will be diverted east on Grant, south on Waverly and west on Sterling Lyon.
- From 3:00pm Friday, September 30 to 6:00 am Monday, October 3, 2005, the intersection of Taylor and Kenaston will be closed. Local access will be maintained on Taylor from the west at Shaftesbury and from the east at Waverly.
Larkin says a key part of the Kenaston Underpas project, the newly constructed Sterling Lyon Parkway which replaces Wilkes Avenue as a major east/west route. Sterling Lyon, will open to traffic this Friday at 06:00 am, and link Victor Lewis Drive to Kenaston and continue west to Wilkes at its intersection with McCreary Road/Shaftesbury Boulevard.
PERMANENT CHANGES IN EFFECT BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 30, 2005:
- Wilkes Avenue will be permanently closed to through traffic at Kenaston Boulevard.
- Local access to Wilkes, east of Kenaston will be maintained from the intersection of Sterling Lyon Parkway/ Victor Lewis Drive.
- Wilkes, from Kenaston to McCreary/Shaftesbury will be closed to all traffic. Use Sterling Lyon Parkway to access Wilkes west of McCreary/Shaftesbury.
Patrick Way, shown on the map below, will be constructed in the fall of 2006, to connect Wilkes Avenue to Sterling Lyon Parkway.
Last update: 30.09.2008
* Top of Page